For the first time since the Great Recession began in 2008, cosmetic enhancement procedures are on the upswing, with a double-digit comeback underway. Doctors, surgeons, dermatologists and otolaryngologists in the United States performed more than 11 million cosmetic surgical and non-surgical treatments, totalling more than $12 billion.
The following are our predictions for the most popular procedures people will be asking for this year.
5 Top Cosmetic Enhancement Procedures for 2014
- Fat “Selfies” – Transferring fat harvested from one part of a person’s body (such as the tummy or buttocks) to plump up facial areas has experienced a pronounced uptick in popularity in the past few years. The results are becoming more predictable and longer lasting than can be achieved with synthetic fat. There will also be an increased interest in the healing and regenerative potential of growth factors, stem cells and other substances found in fat.
- Fat “Cocktails” – Facial plastic surgeons are continuously refining their fat harvesting and injection techniques, using a variety of different methods and, in some cases, combining fat with other substances, such as platelet rich plasma. Besides restoring volume, the data suggests that adding fat back to the face may also improve skin texture and tone.
- Give Me Lip –Facial plastic surgeons are masters at the art of lip enhancement, and a growing number of women are opting to plump up their puckers. Gone are the days where lips were overfilled and inflated with collagen a la Goldie Hawn in The First Wives’ Club. In 2014, women can look forward to natural looking, subtle, soft and kissable results.
- Nosing Around – The nose is the central feature of the face, and even a small improvement of plus or minus a few millimetres of cartilage or bone can make a big impact in your overall appearance. As such, rhinoplasty is one of the most common surgical procedures for both men and women under 35 and the most in-demand facial plastic surgery among men.
- The Big Chill – During a year when the Polar Vortex brought record-breaking lows to America, facial plastic surgeons in the US are talking about the benefits of freezing temperatures. Expect to hear more about the cosmetic and reconstructive benefits of crythotherapy and its many applications in cosmetic enhancement, includingfreezing fat and forehead wrinkle smoothing.