Please submit your application for 2024, Sydney by 30 May, 2023. The Fellowship directors will select the Fellowship candidate in June, 2023. Be sure to check contact information and submission dates for Perth and Brisbane, click on the hyperlinks in the ‘How to Apply’ below.
Fellowships with the AAFPS
The Fellowship encompasses reconstructive and cosmetic facial plastic surgery, aesthetic and functional nasal, head and neck surgery. The Fellow is required to complete at least one research project that may be unique or address unanswered questions, present a paper at a national or international facial plastic meeting, and write an article to be published in a peer review journal.
There are four Fellowship programs supported by the AAFPS: (1) Sydney, under the directorship of a number of surgeons; (2) Perth, under the directorship of Dr Tuan Pham; (3) Brisbane, under the directorship of Dr Adam Honeybrook and Dr Martin Hanson; and (4) Melbourne, under the directorship of Dr Philip Jumeau.
This is a full time position, running for a 12 month tenure.
The Sydney program commences July of the calendar year – please check dates for Perth and Brisbane. Ensure you allow enough time for the application and visa processes. The latter can take up to 6 months.
- Trained in the specialties of in Otolaryngology (ENT), Head & Neck Surgery or Plastic Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons or equivalent.
- Registered or eligible to register with the Medical Board of Australia
- Become a member of the AAFPS
How to apply
Where you can a apply for a Fellowship program:
- SYDNEY PROGRAMME – download and fill in the application form (PDF) email it with your personal statement, curriculum vitae and three reference letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PERTH PROGRAMME – Perth WA – Facial Plastic Fellowship – Dr Pham
- BRISBANE PROGRAMME – Brisbane QLD – Fellowship
- MELBOURNE PROGRAMME – The Melbourne Programme is presently not reviewing new applications
AAFPRS Board Exam
On successful completion of the Fellowship, directors require Fellows to sit and pass the American Academy Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery examination, held yearly in the US. The exam is under the auspices of the International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies (IFFPSS), of which the AAFPS is a member. By passing the exam you are certified by the IFFPSS, not the AAFPS.
The Fellow will be presented with an AAFPS Fellowship Certificate once they successfully fulfil all requirements.
There are 2-4 week or 3 month Observerships available. This may be of particular interest to surgeons from abroad.
Observerships with the AAFPS
There are 2-4 week or 3 month Observerships available. This may be of particular interest to surgeons from abroad, download and fill in the application form (PDF) email it with your personal statement and curriculum vitae to email@example.com.